Well, after about a couple of days, I'm back. And I apologize for the lack of posts, but I have been pretty occupied with a bunch of other stuff. On a slightly different note, I would like to take up this opportunity to say, that there is absolutely nothing good on Saturday night TV. Unless you enjoy pathetic excuse's for comedy series (*cough* The Neighbors *cough*), or movies that didn't fair very well, critic review wise. But, you know what, I digress. On a completely different topic, today signifies one more week, till the launch of the new Pokemon game, 'Pokemon X and Y'. Now, I am very much excited for this game. And been waiting a long time for this. Say, 15 years waiting, ever since I got my first Pokemon game, 'Pokemon Red'. So, without further ado, let's have a little re-cap, and reminisce about the previous Pokemon games. Now, for the record, I am talking about the English versions, and not the Japanese versions. Just letting ya know now.
The first games to come out in this amazing series, were 'Pokemon Red and Blue', back in 1998. I can still remember playing 'Red', and choosing the Pokemon, Charmandar (a fire-type lizard), as my first ever Pokemon. These two games really did set the boundaries for the series. The whole concept of Pokemon, in general, is to catch all these creatures, called Pokemon. The main object of the game is to train your Pokemon through a series of RPG (Role-Playing Game) style fighting. Along the way, you can battle other people, earn badges at various Pokemon Gyms after defeating their leader, and ultimately aim to become the Pokemon Champion, by defeating the ultimate Pokemon Trainers, the Elite Four. Pokemon Red and Blue is astounding, as it introduced a world that we had never witnessed before, and brought forth not only the birth of an amazing series, but the birth of an amazing childhood, for all those who became instantly hooked. Like me.
The next couple of games to be released, were 'Pokemon Gold and Silver'. 'Pokemon Silver' is the first game that I ever bought with my own money, and is still, to this day, my all-time favourite Pokemon game. It introduced a whole new array of features. A new region, new Gyms, 100 new Pokemon bringing the grand total to 251 Pokemon, new Pokemon breeding. And most importantly, the ability for it to change from day to night, based on real-time. This means, that when the sun went down in the real world, so it did in the Pokemon world as well. All these new functions is what I love about 'Gold and Silver'. I can't think of anything else to say, except for the fact, that I miss it. Because I lost it somewhere at home. I do believe that 'Gold and Silver' is truly an amazing expansion to the Pokemon series, and is one of the best expansions.
Following is 'Ruby and Sapphire'. These two were a big hit, as we were able to experience the Pokemon world in bright clear colours. Introducing a new region, as well as a new berry feature, and the ability to engage in double battles was the big hit for 'Ruby and Sapphire'. However, to this day, I don't believe it made much of a dent as the previous games. I will give them credit for bringing to life new characters, and new locations, however, a couple of features from 'Gold and Silver' were left out. A big one was the time function, and also the reduction of the Pokemon. Yes, there was a clock that was able to be set that could function as real-time, however, there was no day and night. Also, there was very little Pokemon that were introduced from the previous games, instead it was primarily focused on the new ones. Overall though, I did admire 'Ruby and Sapphire'. Only, if there was more objectives to do after the Elite Four, then I feel it would've made up for the set backs.
The next two were, 'Diamond and Pearl'. These two were the first to introduce touch screen. Now, I have to admit, I haven't got a lot to say about these two games, as I have never played them. So, with that in mind, I won't be saying anything about them, as I have not experienced them. If you have played them, then please comment below, and tell me what you think about them.
And finally, we come to the most recent games, 'Black and White'. Well then, where to start. Same old, same old. New Pokemon, new region, yada yada yada. One big difference is the introduction of seasons, with every month passed, the seasons change (E.g.: Winter turns to Spring). One thing I dislike about this game, is some of the Pokemon, and the new villains. Some Pokemon were absolute bad-ass and awesome (Bisharp, looking at you), while some on the other hand, were absolutely ridiculous. One Pokemon was resembling a pile garbage. Quite frankly, it confused me. Was he made that way, by humans? Or was he, like all other Pokemon, around before humans? It didn't make any sense. Needless to say, he was absolute rubbish. Also, the new villains. Each Pokemon game has a bunch of new villains, who are always the bad guys (Team Rocket, Team Aqua and Magma, Team Galactic (I think)), but 'Black and White's' Team Plasma had me confused for a bit. Definitely, their background history. It took me a while to figure out that they are liberators for Pokemon, and are hell-bent on setting all Pokemon free. Like PETA. I just felt their goal, to set Pokemon free from Trainers, was slightly flawed, and that these villains needed to be more serious. Overall, 'Black and White' wasn't bad. It wasn't good, but at the same time, it wasn't bad.
Well, there is my re-cap and opinions of the previous 15 years of Pokemon gaming. Hope you all enjoyed it. And I hope you have all pre-ordered 'Pokemon X and Y' (I know I have), and if you do intend on purchasing it, you can find it at any of your local electrical/department stores. Have a lovely rest of the weekend, don't forget to set your clocks forward for daylight savings time, and stay tuned for more posts, from 'Davo's TVG Film Reviews'!
David. Out.
No comments:
Post a Comment