Happy Australia Day to all Australians. Luckily for us Australians, this year Australia Day happens to fall upon a Sunday. Which means we get Monday off, resulting in a 3 day weekend! To celebrate this awesome occasion, I have decided to post 2 topics on the subject of Australian entertainment. Mainly TV shows and films. These 2 posts will operate in the same way as 'Mega-Countdown Monday' where I will be listing the top TV shows/films. So without further ado, let's begin with the 'Most well-known Aussie Shows'..
NEIGHBOURS
Everybody needs good Neighbours. And, man, has this show been around for ages. Since debuting in 1985, 'Neighbours' has continued to become an iconic piece of Australian Television. It is also a great way to kick-start some acting careers, for many famous Australian celebrities came from 'Neighbours'. Most notably Kylie Minogue and Guy Pearce. Judging by the fact that it has been around for well over 2 decades, I have a funny feeling that 'Neighbours' will be with us, for a LONG time to come.
![]() |
| Despite the fact that it's been on for over 25 years, and created over 6,000 episodes, I've got to give them credit for their writing skills. |
SUMMER HEIGHTS HIGH
Ah, 'Summer Heights High'. One of my all time favourite Aussie shows. Taking on a view of public schooling, show creator and main star, Chris Lilley, delivers with absolute hilarity. Playing the role of not 1, not 2, but 3 different characters, Chris portrays each character amazingly. From the over-eccentric and narcissistic drama teacher, Mr. G. To the bratty and bitchy private schoolgirl, Jamie. And even the cocky, arrogant year 8 student Jonah. Chris' ability to play each character differently, and not stuff up is terrific. Taking on the form of a mokumentary, into the life and time of public schooling, 'Summer Heights High' is an absolute cracker to watch. And with it being broadcast worldwide, it certainly has made a name for itself in the Australian TV industry.
![]() |
| There is one question that is constantly plaguing me. What is Chris Lilley's natural hair colour? |
KATH & KIM
'Kath & Kim'. Another iconic Aussie TV show. Home to a very catchy, catchphrase. 'Look at moi'. 'Kath & Kim' is an inside look into the day to day life of a mother and daughter living in a suburb of Melbourne. Basing it all on a mokumentary, 'Kath and Kim' showcases a number of hilarious situations where the titular characters find themselves in. Situations such as: a wedding day gone wrong, pregnancy blues, relationship disagreements (a lot of them). In dealing with these situations, the solutions are often witty, outrageous, and downright hilarious. It has certainly become a true blue Aussie comedy show that pokes fun at the Aussie way of life.
![]() |
| No matter how many times you watch these two 'foxy morons', it will never get old. |
UNDERBELLY
Underbelly is a real crime show that definitely sets the stage for future crime shows. Taking on the form of a documentary as well as a drama, 'Underbelly' documents the criminal activities that have been occurring within Australia over the past century. 'Underbelly' certainly does ramp it up when it comes to the crime genre, taking on the role of a third person narrator, and yet still maintaining letting the actors play their role as well. Like 'Neighbours', I have a funny feeling that there is going to be a lot more 'Underbelly' shows to come.
![]() |
| A great crime series. I'm still surprised with the number of episodes it has. Is it really safe in Australia, or not? |
THE VARIOUS AMOUNT OF GAME SHOWS/REALITY SHOWS
![]() |
| An amazing music themed game show. Will miss you guys. |
Here in Australia, we certainly have a LOT of game shows and reality shows. Some are original ideas ('Thank God You're Here', 'Talkin' about your Generation', 'Spicks and Specks'). Whilst some are various adaptations from overseas ('The X Factor', 'Big Brother', 'Masterchef'). I'm not a huge fan of reality TV shows, but I don't mind Game Shows. Specifically, 'Thank God You're Here', which took a number of Aussie celebrities and threw them into improvisational situations. The results, were hilarious. A very unique and amusing idea. Wish it was still on TV today though. Anyway, while we don't tend to pride ourselves on these types of shows, they are certainly starting to appear in abundance. Which I feel, is starting to appear more and more, daunting.
![]() |
| One of my all-time favourite game shows. Please, please come back. |
SPORTS PROGRAMS
Sports. Us Aussies pride ourselves when it comes to the love of sports. Whether it be the Melbourne Cup (the race that stops a nation). The NRL or NFL (frankly, I can't tell the difference between the two). The Australian Tennis Open (which is almost over). Or the good old Australia Football League. We pride ourselves when it comes to Sports. With it practically running all year long on our Television, it can be impossible to get away from it. Even when there is no match on, we still pride ourselves on the love of it, by broadcasting talk shows about the upcoming matches, and predicting who will win.
![]() |
| A sporting competition that I would rather watch. At home |
![]() |
| An annual battle for the prestigious Ashes Urn. |
Well, there we have it. A list of some of the most well-known Aussie shows. What do you reckon? Do you agree with the list? Or do you think I left something out? Then feel free to leave a comment below.
But that is all I have time for today. Now I am off to enjoy the rest of Australia Day. How are you going to enjoy Australia Day? Watch the tennis or the cricket? Go relax on the beach or in the water? Or just sit around, with a cold beer in your hand, whilst listening to Triple j's Hottest 100? Me? I have no idea what I might do. Probably have a cold beer and listen to Triple J. Anyhow, stay tuned for more exciting and awesome posts in the near future. Till next time, have a great day and take care.
Davo. Out.








No comments:
Post a Comment