Thursday, 2 January 2014

Reality Cooking Shows - Hot or Cold?

Hey all,

Hope you all have been having a nice day so far. There's nothing like a cloudy, gloomy summer day. Seriously weather, get your act together. But anyway, let's get down to brass tacks. I'd like to discuss something that has always unnerved me. Reality TV shows. I hate them. I hate seeing shows like 'Big Brother' or 'The X Factor' plague our screens. But there's just one little problem about them. They're so addictive. I don't know what it is, but somehow, every night, more and more people are tuning in to watch some person sing until their voice hurts, or brag about how good and popular they are. Which brings me onto today's topic. Reality cooking shows. Are they for the better or the worse?

There are so many cooking shows on our screens, that it's not funny anymore. By my estimate, I believe that we have well over 5 different Reality cooking shows. And that's not including the shows where the chef's are cooking (e.g.: 'Jamie's 15 minute meals'). No, no, I'm talking about 'Masterchef' or 'My Kitchen Rules'. These shows tend to bug me, for I believe that the judges are too easy on the contestants. Too many times have I seen the first couple of episodes where they are served the dishes, and the judges instantly say, 'Superb' or 'You've started this show off with a bang'. What if I served them some of my home-made University meals, like 2 minute noodles? Would I get a good review for that?

But the judge's scoring nor the contestant's food isn't what hooks us in every night. No, in actuality, it's the contestants themselves. In every show, there are the contestants that you like. And the ones that you despise. And what's funny is that we tune in every night for the ones that we despise, not the ones that we like. It is because we want to see what they have to say. What they will do. How they will react around the other contestants. And more importantly, if they are going to make an absolute blunder of themselves. 

I tend to hate cooking shows. But there is one show that I do enjoy. 'Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares'. I am well aware that he swears a lot. But putting that aside, Ramsay in fact helps the participants of the show. He tells them flat out bluntly at the start of the show that they're 'cooking is  #@*$%' (I'm not going to swear on my blog). And over the course of the episode, we steadily see the participants improve. Unlike other shows, like 'My Kitchen Rules' where they say at the start of the season that they're food is amazing. And then at the end, remark on how well the contestants have improved over the course of the season. How can they tell they've improved, if they got a good review to begin with?! Boggles the mind.

A fine piece in Reality cooking. Bring it back, I say.

I would like to see one day, a cooking show where the contestants are judged harshly. Where the contestants have more of a motivation to improve by being scored a low mark, like a 2 out of 10. Or maybe a 3. I'm not saying that I want to see some contestants cry their eyes out. I just want to see a Reality Cooking show, where a bunch of contestants take on a number of cooking challenges. And are critiqued harshly on their ability to cook by some of the world's best chefs. And are all competing for a major prize, like a lucrative cookbook publish or a chance to work at a high class 5 star restaurant.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my little, uh, rant for the day. Do you agree with what I am saying? Or do you disagree? Please feel free to leave any comments you feel the need to say. Stay tuned for more exciting and random posts to come. Till then, have a great day, stay safe and take care.

Davo. Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment