Friday, 27 September 2013

It's Arrested Development

Hey all,

Well, it's the end of another week. And you know what that means. WEEKEND!!! Yep, another weekend, of sitting around, bludging and watching TV. My ideal kind of day. But anyway, most recently, I've gotten up to speed with a comedy series called 'Arrested Development'. Now, I know I'm a little to the party, considering that it was released in 2003, but, I have gotten to know it. And might I add, it is, Amazing.

'Arrested Development' for those who have not heard of it, is an American comedy, and revolves around a very rich and wealthy family called the Bluths who do not work, but instead live off the luxury of their profitable business. So, one day, the father of the Bluth family is arrested on grounds of fraud, and is sent to jail, causing the family to having to fend for themselves. The whole series revolves around the middle child, Michael Bluth, who takes up his father's position as president, and attempts to keep his family grounded by working.

The story's and plots of 'Arrested Development' are genius. There are so many twists and turns, and what's even more amazing, is the fact that at anyone time, there can be more than one plot line, yet at the end of the episode, they all seem to meet up somewhere and somehow. Pure genius. The number of jokes that are contained within each plot is also great. 'Arrested Development' employs no studio audience or laugh tracks, where meaningless and random laughter is thrown in. No, no. Instead, it heavily relies on the quality of it's jokes, and expects you to laugh when you find something funny. Not methodically telling you to laugh by a laugh track. Another quirk that I love about 'Arrested Development'.

The character's and the actor's who portray them, are brilliant. Each character is uniquely different in their own sort of way. Each have their own personalities, and each behave in their own sort of ways. Granted they all seem to have one quirk that they each share; greed. But this is carefully laid out, and made sure not to go too overboard. The actor's who portray them on the other hand, are astounding. Jason Bateman plays the lead character Michael Bluth, and does a mighty fine job of it. Being the level headed member of the family, who is the only one that works to make money, Jason portrays him as being stern, trustworthy and loving to his family, yet at the same time, hating his family. This excellently played out, as in every comedy series, there always had to be that one control character, who is normal in comparison to everyone else. And Jason portrays Michael, brilliantly.

Overall, 'Arrested Development' is an awesome series. I've had some laughs (to be honest, a couple of times, I had to pause the show, because I was laughing that hard), and have had some gasp moments. All in all, I give it 9/10. While it is an amazing series, some of the characters annoy me just a tiny bit sometimes,. But that is the only downfall. I love the writing, I love the acting, and I highly recommend it to all who would like a good laugh.

Well, I hope you have all enjoyed my first review. If you haven't noticed, I have changed the name of my blog, from 'Davo's Reviews' to 'Davo's TVG Film Reviews' with 'TVG' standing for 'Television, Video Games'. Hope you all have an amazing weekend, and I hope you stay tuned for my next post.
David. Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment