Tuesday, 17 December 2013

'Now you See me' - Now you don't

Hey all,

I'm back for more reviews. And with just over a week to go before Christmas, perhaps these reviews may entice you to buy a couple of stocking stuffers. Today's review will be one based on a film. So without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to today's review, 'Now you See me'.

'Now you See me' is a 2013 mystery, crime film that follows an FBI agent and an Interpol detective, as they track down a team of 4 illusionists, who pull off a string of bank robberies during their performances. When I first heard this, I started thinking that this would sort of be like 'Bonnie & Clyde' meets 'Ocean's Eleven', but with magicians. And man, was I semi-wrong. 'Now you See me' takes a few essences from 'Ocean's Eleven' (choosing the right people, and the heists) and adds in a few more mysteries to really spice it up.

Now then, let's get down to business. I am a real sucker for mystery genres. I love the many plot twists, and occasionally plot branches that can stem from a story-line. But what I love the most, is the thrill of having to guess what is going to happen next. Or once the big twist has been revealed, looking back on the start of the story, and piecing it together. 'Now you See me' does exactly that. With the many plot twists and mysteries, it is very thrilling. But you can sort of expect that, as it is a movie about magic. And magic is all about wondering how the trick was performed. One thing I did not like about the story, is that I felt it went for too long. I hate when you are lead to believe that it is drawing to a close, and then next thing you know, there is another scene. It can really peeve me off. 

Time to get technical. As a student, studying TV production, it can be rather annoying to watch a movie with me, as I tend to pick at it afterwards. But with that being said, there are a few issues that I would like to point out. The most important one (that I would like to mention) is the camera work. I didn't like it. Clearly the director, Louis Leterrier, likes to circle the main subject with the camera. It can be used quite well. However, if you constantly do it, then it grows boring and feel a bit redundant. Also induces dizziness as well. 

Featuring a star studded line-up, such as Jesse Eisenberg ('The Social Network'), Mark Ruffalo ('The Avengers'), Morgan Freeman ('Shawshank Redemption', 'Batman Trilogy') just to name a few, 'Now you See me' is a movie that will leave you guessing. With the many plot twists, and a couple of 'huh?' or 'What?' moments, it is sure to make you leaving with many thoughts and questions. Overall, I give it a 7.5/10. If it had not dragged out for so long, or improved some of the camera work techniques, I would've given it a much higher score.

Well, I hope you enjoyed my review of 'Now you See me'. If you would like to purchase it, it is out now on DVD or blu-ray in selected department stores or DVD stores. Stay tuned for more reviews. Till then, take care and enjoy the rest of your day.

David. Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment